CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Missed Chances


I am such a lucky person, that's all I can think of.

Imagine these scenarios: a son/daughter lying on the floor of their so-called home (home means a small four-walled structure made of plywood and a galvanized corrugated metal roofing)  and gripping his/her stomach because of hunger, teenagers having their smoking and drinking session, families who don't have a place they can consider home, out of school youths engaging themselves in illegal doings, little children asking for alms along the streets and more gruesome circumstances that is prevalent in the Philippines. I am sure you are familiar with each scenario and maybe you had the chance to see one of these on your way home. I really could not imagine my life like that, it's burdensome and complicated. Sure most of the times we don't care about them or if we do it will only be for a moment when we have the chance to mingle with them or upon hearing their touching stories.  Actually, I salute those people who persist on living despite of their critical and vulnerable situation. If I were them, I had long given up my life considering the hardships, the sufferings and the torments. Living in that kind of life is never easy, it is full of uncertainties.

It is aggravating to see these things and to think that it is rampant here in the Philippines. It made me realize that I am a way luckier than any other people because I have this and that which they cannot afford. I am lucky because I haven't only got a place I can really call home but I am sure that this so-called home could really provide me protection and sanctuary. I am lucky because I have the chance to attend school. I am lucky because I do not starve. I am lucky because I have money. I am lucky because of so many unappreciated reasons. I rant about insignificant matters and inconsequential things but I don't ever bother to think about those people who have nothing but their faith to hold on to.

I wonder why we end up like this. Is it rooted on the innate behavior of people or does it come from the people who are leading our country? If only the government would not focus more on their hidden vicious agendas but instead pay much of their attention to these people who is in need of their help, maybe somehow we can uplift the Philippines. Their acts would be much appreciated if they set aside their political desires. As much as it is easy to say, I am completely aware that for them it will be a great challenge especially if their minds have been thoroughly corrupted by money and power. But I do hope for a change even if it is gradual at least change happens.

Ciao.

0 comments: